Skip to main content

Important Weekend in KC

Shared with the pastors, John Fast, and Marilyn U. Flaming:

"There is invitation in our discomfort" - this is a quote I have embraced over the last year, and it has helped me to hold tensions in my own mind, not seeing right/wrong or white/black, but rather; holding space for curiosity, imagination, and learning. I was very nervous about attending the MCUSA Delegate Session because meetings are not a strong point for me. However, I can honestly say this was one of the most meaningful weekends I have had in a long time. I felt like I was meant to be there!

Friday Worship: Emerging throught the storms of Leadership

1. The biggest message that stood out to me was from one of the pastors (can't remember which one). She had told her physician about being a Mennonite pastor and how it felt like we were all just 'circling the drain.' The physician looked at her and said, "No, you are just circling a new paradigm. I'm Presbyterian, so I know about such things!"   I thought the idea of circling a new paradigm felt accurate, and one which not everyone is ready for. 

Saturday: What Matters Most

1. Our facilitated discussion centered around Learning and Building - What are the benefits of learning about others' lived experiences vs. unintended consequences of not listening to those. What are the benefits of building capacity to hold others' lived experiences vs. unintended consequences of not holding space. I found this to be very helpful at creating safe spaces to share stories at our tables and to build trust. Perhaps it would be a good way to have discussion at our own church. 

2. There were 6 of us at my table: 2 inclusive pastors (including Philip Schmidt) and 4 church member delegates from PA, VA, OH, IA, IN, and KS. We were all pretty much on the same page as far as the resolutions went, but the 2 from OH and VA knew that not everyone in their congregations feel the same way they do, much like in our own. They were conflicted about what passing the resolutions would do to their congregations and conferences. In fact, on Monday, someone from the Virginia Mennonite Conference got up to request prayers for the whole conference because there is a sense that they will be leaving MCUSA.
Trying origami 
Table 40 - minus Keith, who had to leave early
3. Another focus for the day was "How do we stay at the table with such broad perspectives?"  A good question for our congregation. An answer came from Samuel Sarpiya the next morning:  We can live in disagreement and still follow JESUS. If I can't love my neighbor, I can't love God. The Holy Spirit is greater than MY perspective."  Maybe this can keep all of us, whatever we believe in, from feeling superior from one another.

Sunday: The Way of Peace in our Polarized World (I would recommend this message being made available to our congregation)
Samuel Sarpiya
I have to admit that I was not sure how to vote on the resolution for Transformation and Repentance. I thought I knew, but I think I changed my mind 10 times during the afternoon because of the rich conversations and heartfelt sharing. The consensus from most of the tables was that most were in agreement that repentance is necessary. The language of the resolution feels aggressive, and was a hang-up for many.                           

Monday: Rejoicing and Mourning in One Body
1. The morning worship service was, I believe, lovingly planned with many emotions in mind. Of course, after such a heavy day on Sunday, the message of mourning AND rejoicing rang loud and clear. The focus was on Ecclesiastes (A time to . . .).  Sarah Bixler offered the idea that rather than the book saying there will be a definite time for each of those things; perhaps the writer was just naming those life experiences and encouraging others to do the same - recognizing that everybody is on a journey and naming our emotions is an important part of that. If we believe that, we can look at each other with compassion and curiosity rather than judgment. This definitely resonated with me! They also offered the metaphor of the Church being like a neighborhood - we have different houses, we have intersections, sometimes we need our own space (in our own houses), and sometimes we need each other (community spaces).

2. The accessibility resolution passed with 100% affirmation by a show of hands. Some of the discussion focused on:
  • some were disappointed in the placement of this resolution on the agenda - many had already started leaving to catch planes, etc.
  • comments about being sure to try to do some of the ideas in the resolution but not feeling like ALL have to be done
  • the Everence sharing fund can be used at individuals' homes to make accessiblity upgrades but not for use on church buildings
  • People are encouraged to check out the Anabaptist Disabilities Network for resources
  • Encouragement to think about accessibility in serving food and/or communion (buffet lines are not the best, for example)
  • Include autism spectrum disorders when considering accessibility (example: loud applause can be startling), let that church member lead in determining what works and what doesn't.
I think one of my biggest take-aways is that our tiny church in tiny Goessel is such a small part of not only the broader Church, but also the Mennonite Church. It was beautiful to see so many people from so many places. Our way of doing church here is far different from a church in urban Seattle or the Filipino Church in PA, or our sister church in Dallas (do we still have a sister church?). We need to hear each others' stories in order to further Jesus' mission here on earth - to love each other, to have compassion for one another, to widen the circle. 

One last observation (or 2) -  I was proud to see so many female leaders on the stage throughout the weekend. I know that is not the case for many churches yet. And I so appreciated Marilyn and John. I was amazed at the connections they have to so many and the ease with which they can enter into a conversation with just about anyone. John, I loved the Sat. evening meal with your family - I was amazed at how that came together. And Marilyn, I enjoyed getting to know you better and to be able to talk deeply about the conference.
Dinner with John's family, the Lorraine Ave. Menn. Church
pastor and another pastor - the table just kept growing!
Side note: I loved, loved, loved staying at the Westin Hotel for 3 nights and enjoyed a Memorial Day Concert by the KC Symphony across the street from my room on Sunday night. I remember sitting outside listening and watching the fireworks and being in awe of what I was taking in. I will remember this weekend for a long time!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Christmas Surprise

 On Dec. 22, I woke up to Caiden not feeling well. In fact, he said he hadn't ever felt the kind of pain he was experiencing that morning. Reluctantly, I made an appointment. Long story, short - it was good he complained because he ended up having his appendix out that afternoon! It must have been at the very beginning stages and thankfully hadn't burst. So, we were in and out of the hospital by midnight that night. Maybe the worst part about the whole thing is that his wisdom teeth surgery had to be postponed since it was supposed to be the very next week. He'll go back to school minus an appendix, but still having his wisdom teeth until February 16! Pre-op Post-op

League Champs!!

 Delaney and her teammates had an amazing volleyball season! They ended the season undefeated in the Wheat State League, and they only lost 2 matches overall. They had a notable win over Moundridge, 2 wins over Elyria, and THREE wins over Little River - all teams we have had trouble with in the past. They were so fun to watch, working as a team and developing throughout the season, and they ended as the league tournament champs. Thanks to Raechel Boese and Tara Churchill for their work with these ladies. What a fantastic way to end Delaney's middle school volleyball days! The immediate aftermath of a 3-set win over Elyria for  the League Championship! A Team 8th Graders Team Selfie Coaches Churchill and Boese Scenes from the BIG win over Moundridge:

Mid-Summer Happenings

 I'm trying to remember that I craved "slow and easy" days during the school year, and I feel like that's what I've had this summer. It has been refreshing to wake up in the morning and have a flexible to-do list; although I have to admit that some days do feel long. I suppose that helps me appreciate my teaching job! In not particular order, here's what we've been up to: Endless fixing and revamping in the shop: Digging up potatoes and pulling up a generous onion crop! Look at the size of that potato! The 4th of July fireworks were outdone by the sky this year! Enjoying my walks at sunset: Many, many green beans to can and pickle. Thanks to the girls for cleaning and stemming them! I had been keeping tabs on an Oriole nest near the garden, and one Sunday, I witnessed the "fly-away!" It was a noisy affair as the parents and babies kept calling back and forth. I almost can't get over the fact that I had time to stand and watch the whole affair