Skip to main content

Choosing Trust Over Fear

I have struggled with writing about the shooting in Hesston - in fact, I wasn't going to post anything about it.  However, for the sake of memories, I decided I should at least touch on it.  It does deserve a place.
It just hit so close to home - particularly since Doug was directly involved.  Honestly, I sometimes feel guilty for struggling with this tragedy.  I wasn't there, I didn't lose anyone close to me, and, although I know a few people who work there, I didn't know any of the victims.  And I get to move on with my life with little disruption.  I feel like I am on the outside looking in.  
But I guess that's okay.  I didn't have to be directly involved for this to touch me.  My heart is sad for the families of those who died, for those who were injured, for those who witnessed it, for my brother-in-law who will probably replay images over and over, for my sister and my niece and nephew who might sometimes wonder "what if?", for the children and family of Mr. Ford, and even for the communities of Hesston and Newton left wondering, "Are we really safe?"  
I guess we have to choose to live in hope rather than in fear after something like this happens.  One of the devotions I read to the kids shortly after this happened focused on this very topic.  It comes from the kids' devotional, Jesus Today, by Sarah Young, adapted by Tama Fortner:

"Everyone wants to feel safe and secure.  I know you want that too.  Put your trust in Me, and I will look out for you.  In fact, I am the only One who can keep you safe and secure for all time. 
Whenever you start to feel unsure or unsafe - about anything - come to Me.  First, tell Me your fears.  Then, tell Me that you trust Me.  Saying out loud that you trust Me brings Me even closer to you.  And it also sends Satan - with all his lies and schemes - running away so that you are free from his evil ways. 
Since the Garden of Eden, the devil has been telling lies.  One of his biggest lies is that you don't need Me.  Don't listen to Him!  Put your trust in Me, because I am the truth, and I will keep you in my care."

"Being afraid of people can get you into trouble.  But if you trust the Lord, you will be safe."  - Proverbs 29:25

As we all work on healing from this ordeal, no matter how closely or how distantly we were involved, I hope we can choose to trust God over living in fear.  It's a work in progress for me . . .

Comments

  1. Thank you for your thoughts Megan! I thought of and said prayers for your whole family during this time! Can't imagine how difficult this has been for Doug, Vanessa and kids as well as many others!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Christmas Surprise

 On Dec. 22, I woke up to Caiden not feeling well. In fact, he said he hadn't ever felt the kind of pain he was experiencing that morning. Reluctantly, I made an appointment. Long story, short - it was good he complained because he ended up having his appendix out that afternoon! It must have been at the very beginning stages and thankfully hadn't burst. So, we were in and out of the hospital by midnight that night. Maybe the worst part about the whole thing is that his wisdom teeth surgery had to be postponed since it was supposed to be the very next week. He'll go back to school minus an appendix, but still having his wisdom teeth until February 16! Pre-op Post-op

Mid-Summer Happenings

 I'm trying to remember that I craved "slow and easy" days during the school year, and I feel like that's what I've had this summer. It has been refreshing to wake up in the morning and have a flexible to-do list; although I have to admit that some days do feel long. I suppose that helps me appreciate my teaching job! In not particular order, here's what we've been up to: Endless fixing and revamping in the shop: Digging up potatoes and pulling up a generous onion crop! Look at the size of that potato! The 4th of July fireworks were outdone by the sky this year! Enjoying my walks at sunset: Many, many green beans to can and pickle. Thanks to the girls for cleaning and stemming them! I had been keeping tabs on an Oriole nest near the garden, and one Sunday, I witnessed the "fly-away!" It was a noisy affair as the parents and babies kept calling back and forth. I almost can't get over the fact that I had time to stand and watch the whole affair

League Champs!!

 Delaney and her teammates had an amazing volleyball season! They ended the season undefeated in the Wheat State League, and they only lost 2 matches overall. They had a notable win over Moundridge, 2 wins over Elyria, and THREE wins over Little River - all teams we have had trouble with in the past. They were so fun to watch, working as a team and developing throughout the season, and they ended as the league tournament champs. Thanks to Raechel Boese and Tara Churchill for their work with these ladies. What a fantastic way to end Delaney's middle school volleyball days! The immediate aftermath of a 3-set win over Elyria for  the League Championship! A Team 8th Graders Team Selfie Coaches Churchill and Boese Scenes from the BIG win over Moundridge: