Skip to main content

Back to Normal(ish)

 After much build-up, preparation, stress, and anxiety, school began on August 17!  No bus ride in the morning this year - Caiden and I are sharing that responsibility.  While this schedule feels pretty normal, school does look much different.  Students cannot enter the building until 7:40 a.m., and when they enter, masks are required and temperatures are taken.  Most of the kids are doing so well with this, and as a teacher, I'm trying to give them mask breaks and even try to go outside for class more often.  We've made it 2 full weeks and so far, so good - no Covid cases that we know of as of today!  Our fingers are crossed that it stays this way, but I imagine this will not be the case.

A Freshman!
A 5th Grader

Caiden's usual spot in the mornings - the only picture I 
could get!  This is his Junior Year.
School activities have resumed like normal besides the cleaning, sanitizing, and masking requirements.  Caiden is playing football again and Cambry is managing for the volleyball team.  This mostly means that she is in charge of videoing games.  It's going . . . okay.  Game days get a little long for her!  The football team started the season playing Canton-Galva - last year's 8-Man State Champions.  So, that went . . . well, the game was over at halftime.  But week 2 was a great game against Herington.  They are 1-1 right now.
First volleyball night

No more handshakes after the game - just a friendly wave!


Right before school began, Delaney had braces put on!  We will be making more trips to the dentist, I guess.

Just because school began, that didn't mean the garden or the fieldwork slowed down any.  Corn harvest began almost right when school did, and it has been fun for Chelan and Caiden since the corn is doing so well!  I am trying to squeeze in canning all of my tomatoes on the weekends.  I'm not sure I've ever had so many tomatoes - but maybe I say that every year!




At the September 4-H meeting, Cambry was voted in as club treasurer!  She will have to get used to making a report every month - something new for her.

We are definitely busier than we have been for about 6 months, and that has taken some getting used to.  And my teacher voice is definitely tired.  I hope things can feel normal(ish) for a little while before we are forced back home again!



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Christmas Surprise

 On Dec. 22, I woke up to Caiden not feeling well. In fact, he said he hadn't ever felt the kind of pain he was experiencing that morning. Reluctantly, I made an appointment. Long story, short - it was good he complained because he ended up having his appendix out that afternoon! It must have been at the very beginning stages and thankfully hadn't burst. So, we were in and out of the hospital by midnight that night. Maybe the worst part about the whole thing is that his wisdom teeth surgery had to be postponed since it was supposed to be the very next week. He'll go back to school minus an appendix, but still having his wisdom teeth until February 16! Pre-op Post-op

League Champs!!

 Delaney and her teammates had an amazing volleyball season! They ended the season undefeated in the Wheat State League, and they only lost 2 matches overall. They had a notable win over Moundridge, 2 wins over Elyria, and THREE wins over Little River - all teams we have had trouble with in the past. They were so fun to watch, working as a team and developing throughout the season, and they ended as the league tournament champs. Thanks to Raechel Boese and Tara Churchill for their work with these ladies. What a fantastic way to end Delaney's middle school volleyball days! The immediate aftermath of a 3-set win over Elyria for  the League Championship! A Team 8th Graders Team Selfie Coaches Churchill and Boese Scenes from the BIG win over Moundridge:

Mid-Summer Happenings

 I'm trying to remember that I craved "slow and easy" days during the school year, and I feel like that's what I've had this summer. It has been refreshing to wake up in the morning and have a flexible to-do list; although I have to admit that some days do feel long. I suppose that helps me appreciate my teaching job! In not particular order, here's what we've been up to: Endless fixing and revamping in the shop: Digging up potatoes and pulling up a generous onion crop! Look at the size of that potato! The 4th of July fireworks were outdone by the sky this year! Enjoying my walks at sunset: Many, many green beans to can and pickle. Thanks to the girls for cleaning and stemming them! I had been keeping tabs on an Oriole nest near the garden, and one Sunday, I witnessed the "fly-away!" It was a noisy affair as the parents and babies kept calling back and forth. I almost can't get over the fact that I had time to stand and watch the whole affair