Skip to main content

Summer - Weeks 2 & 3

Normally, the first few weeks of summer are spent getting ready for VBS and getting reacquainted with the house.  This year, of course, VBS was cancelled and we have already been home for 3 months!  I was a little worried that we would not feel a distinction between school-at-home and summer-at-home, but I think I can safely say by now that it definitely feels like summer.  This is all thanks to summer weights programs beginning for Caiden and Cambry, Grammy and Papa's pool opening up (what a blessing!), and continuing project at home.

While things are feeling 'normal' for us, 2020 seems to keep unraveling for many in this country.  We've had the Covid-19 pandemic (which keeps rearing its ugly head), and now the whole world is protesting the outrageous death of George Floyd at the hands (or the knee) of a police officer in Minneapolis, MN.  A renewed push to end systemic racism throughout our society has begun (again).  I have just recently begun to understand what it means to have subconscious bias and how I experience 'white privilege.'  This awareness in itself is controversial for some reason. Perhaps because if I choose to hear one side, it must mean I am against all others. I hear the calls:

"Black Lives Matter. . . but,"
"Blue Lives Matter. . . but,"
"All Lives Matter. . . but!"

I am tired of the 'buts.'  God calls us to love one another, and right now, I am called to love my black and brown brothers and sisters in a special way, to experience a heart change so that maybe I can have a small part in turning around the racism that still exists.  That doesn't diminish my love for others.  Just because right now I am choosing to listen and learn about black lives doesn't mean I think all police officers are bad.  My brother-in-law is the chief of police in Hesston and I know he polices with Jesus in his heart every day, and I would imagine he instructs his officers to do the same.  One of my college friends posted this on FB the other day, and I feel like it sums up how I feel (from Amy Bolanos):

"The true measure of our character is how we treat the poor, the disfavored, the accused, the incarcerated, and the condemned."
-Bryan Stevenson
Just Mercy
"whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."
-Jesus
Matthew 25:40

So what will I do? I will start at home with my children. They will not contribute to racism in the future if I have anything to say about it!

In other family news, Chelan and I went strawberry-picking by Inman. All 7 lbs. went into jam!
We helped open up Grammy and Papa's swimming pool, and about a week later, the water was warm enough to jump in.  It was good timing, too, because we are in the middle of a hot, dry spell and the other area pools are either not opening at all this summer or only opening up to their community families.
We had an 8th grade promotion celebration for Cambry!  It was mostly family, but a few friends and one teacher showed up too!










We found this poor baby bunny by the onions in the garden.  I am not sure it survived, but it was oh, so cute!
We are just a few days away from wheat harvest - the prep has begun!

We have had 2 drive-in church services.  It feels good to be worshiping together face-to-face again!
Swimming with friends is even more fun!
Much to everyone's delight, the green beans have begun to produce.  That means picking, and picking and picking . . .
Our basement got sheet rocked last week - the new stuff is ready to be painted, but the old walls still need some work.  The ceiling is completely done, and it already feels like a brand new space!
Paint samples - not one has been right yet!  There probably  needs to be more brown to contrast the gray floor a little better.  But who are we kidding - we are not interior designers!
Shades of blue for the 2 doors down there - probably the bottom one.
In the midst of the chaos that surrounds us, I am reminded that God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in times of trouble (Psalm 46:1).  I will continue to be better about starting my days with him, to be reminded that I can seek his help every day and also seek to be others' "very present help in times of trouble."  I believe that God will work all of this out for good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Christmas Surprise

 On Dec. 22, I woke up to Caiden not feeling well. In fact, he said he hadn't ever felt the kind of pain he was experiencing that morning. Reluctantly, I made an appointment. Long story, short - it was good he complained because he ended up having his appendix out that afternoon! It must have been at the very beginning stages and thankfully hadn't burst. So, we were in and out of the hospital by midnight that night. Maybe the worst part about the whole thing is that his wisdom teeth surgery had to be postponed since it was supposed to be the very next week. He'll go back to school minus an appendix, but still having his wisdom teeth until February 16! Pre-op Post-op

League Champs!!

 Delaney and her teammates had an amazing volleyball season! They ended the season undefeated in the Wheat State League, and they only lost 2 matches overall. They had a notable win over Moundridge, 2 wins over Elyria, and THREE wins over Little River - all teams we have had trouble with in the past. They were so fun to watch, working as a team and developing throughout the season, and they ended as the league tournament champs. Thanks to Raechel Boese and Tara Churchill for their work with these ladies. What a fantastic way to end Delaney's middle school volleyball days! The immediate aftermath of a 3-set win over Elyria for  the League Championship! A Team 8th Graders Team Selfie Coaches Churchill and Boese Scenes from the BIG win over Moundridge:

Mid-Summer Happenings

 I'm trying to remember that I craved "slow and easy" days during the school year, and I feel like that's what I've had this summer. It has been refreshing to wake up in the morning and have a flexible to-do list; although I have to admit that some days do feel long. I suppose that helps me appreciate my teaching job! In not particular order, here's what we've been up to: Endless fixing and revamping in the shop: Digging up potatoes and pulling up a generous onion crop! Look at the size of that potato! The 4th of July fireworks were outdone by the sky this year! Enjoying my walks at sunset: Many, many green beans to can and pickle. Thanks to the girls for cleaning and stemming them! I had been keeping tabs on an Oriole nest near the garden, and one Sunday, I witnessed the "fly-away!" It was a noisy affair as the parents and babies kept calling back and forth. I almost can't get over the fact that I had time to stand and watch the whole affair