Skip to main content

Stay-at-Home (Week 9) / Learn-at-Home (Week 7)

This week began with Mother's Day!  Grammy invited us over for dinner provided by Keith's, and it was just lovely to be together with my family again.  The girls enjoyed playing with Dollie while all the boys and Addi played 'throw golf'.  Vanessa, Mom, and I stayed behind to chat.  On the way home, we caught up with Chelan's side of the family as the McCabe's had dropped by for lunch earlier.  It's always a good thing to see actual people right now!  To our moms: We appreciate the love, support, help, encouragement, and guidance you have shown us and your grandchildren for so many years!!  We love you dearly!
Cambry drove us safely to 
Grammy and Papa's
Trying to social distance a little bit in the kitchen!

We tried treats from Grazing
Plains Dairy and The Salted
Creamery for the first time. 
We gifted some, but
I kept this carton for myself!

After Sunday, the weather turned cold and wet.  I'm not going to lie: Mon.-Wed. were tough days.  Long, dreary, almost depressing days.  But like always, the sun came back out, the temps warmed up, and things felt better. The girls rediscovered Minecraft this week because of the long hours inside - it took 8 weeks for them to get to this!
                             
By the end of the week, Cambry finished school as an 8th grader!  There is no promotion ceremony for them, but I don't think she really minds- as long as we still have her party later in June (hopefully).  She helped some of her classmates put a video together, and I think that will be shared on Tuesday - the last day of school.  Cambry was in charge of finding 'random' pictures from Kdg.-8th grade. It was fun to look back on her school years through pictures.  


We grilled hamburgers, and the girls made a cake to celebrate!

All that looking through pictures prompted Delaney to start looking at old videos of herself.  Oh my was this fun!  She has been comfortable in front of a camera since the beginning!  This was one of our favorites from March 2013:
Delaney basically finished school this week.  She worked hard on a research project that had been started before the shutdown:  Life on a Plantation.  With her 15 facts, she decided to make a map/diagram.  She has also started baking a little more - busting boredom, I think!  She and Cambry have a chocolate chip cookie recipe down pat and seem to work well together in the kitchen.  This week, Delaney baked homemade brownies on her own for the first time.  She also began a poetry notebook this week - sudden inspiration all on her own!



Chelan continued his work in the basement putting up strips in preparation for drywall in a couple of weeks.  It's a mess right now, but a sign of progress!  I am still amazed at his ability to figure out how to do everything.  He just has the mind for it!

I dropped by the school on Thursday to make some copies, and I worked in my classroom a little bit - it seemed frozen in time. March 13 (Friday the 13th) was the last day we held classes, which means we hit 2 months away from school this week!  

I always like to end my classes with class "awards."  The kids nominate each other for 'idiom' or 'famous people' awards, and then I present them on the last day of school. This year, that will be via a Google Meeting on Monday.  I always hope it will help them identify the gifts and abilities of each person in their class in, positive way.  Cambry was my TA this week - helping me laminate the certificates!

Empty!
Overgrown - I usually have students
help with spring clean-up and trimming!


As far as Covid-19 goes this week, the governor announced Phase 1.5 beginning on Monday instead of moving to Phase 2.  There are still new cases, and it is hard to determine whether that's due to more testing or if there actually are more cases.  So, the cautious, slow reopening continues.  One good thing about this new phase is that hair salons and barbershops are allowed to reopen.  Somehow, that's been a touchy subject!  

And, last but not least, we had a winner in the cookie challenge.  Cambry came out on top - making hers last the longest!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Christmas Surprise

 On Dec. 22, I woke up to Caiden not feeling well. In fact, he said he hadn't ever felt the kind of pain he was experiencing that morning. Reluctantly, I made an appointment. Long story, short - it was good he complained because he ended up having his appendix out that afternoon! It must have been at the very beginning stages and thankfully hadn't burst. So, we were in and out of the hospital by midnight that night. Maybe the worst part about the whole thing is that his wisdom teeth surgery had to be postponed since it was supposed to be the very next week. He'll go back to school minus an appendix, but still having his wisdom teeth until February 16! Pre-op Post-op

League Champs!!

 Delaney and her teammates had an amazing volleyball season! They ended the season undefeated in the Wheat State League, and they only lost 2 matches overall. They had a notable win over Moundridge, 2 wins over Elyria, and THREE wins over Little River - all teams we have had trouble with in the past. They were so fun to watch, working as a team and developing throughout the season, and they ended as the league tournament champs. Thanks to Raechel Boese and Tara Churchill for their work with these ladies. What a fantastic way to end Delaney's middle school volleyball days! The immediate aftermath of a 3-set win over Elyria for  the League Championship! A Team 8th Graders Team Selfie Coaches Churchill and Boese Scenes from the BIG win over Moundridge:

Mid-Summer Happenings

 I'm trying to remember that I craved "slow and easy" days during the school year, and I feel like that's what I've had this summer. It has been refreshing to wake up in the morning and have a flexible to-do list; although I have to admit that some days do feel long. I suppose that helps me appreciate my teaching job! In not particular order, here's what we've been up to: Endless fixing and revamping in the shop: Digging up potatoes and pulling up a generous onion crop! Look at the size of that potato! The 4th of July fireworks were outdone by the sky this year! Enjoying my walks at sunset: Many, many green beans to can and pickle. Thanks to the girls for cleaning and stemming them! I had been keeping tabs on an Oriole nest near the garden, and one Sunday, I witnessed the "fly-away!" It was a noisy affair as the parents and babies kept calling back and forth. I almost can't get over the fact that I had time to stand and watch the whole affair