Skip to main content

Busy May Days


As usual, May has been extremely busy, and we're only halfway through!  Our school year ended on the 11th - THE 11TH!  It was too early, but that's all behind us now, and we are enjoying free-er days!
First up - Cambry's field trip to Kanopolis Lake and the Kansas Wetlands Education Center.  I was able to get away from teaching for a day to join her!

Such a great tour guide!

Lots of climbing and hiking


Jake made his own paint!


an owl friend at the Wetlands Center

exploring  the owl pellet she was given

Displaying the bones she found in the pellet
Next up:  The Bin Project - Chelan bought a rather large grain bin at an auction last fall.  They spent many weekends tearing it down at the old place only to be put up again at our farm.  A couple of weekends ago, they had the perfect weather to get the bin standing up in its new location.  Thankfully, they called in some extra help - Cale showed up and our friends John and Chase came as well.  It wouldn't have happened without everyone's contributions!  I admired the thought process it took to accomplish this - knowing which equipment could be used, carefully numbering each panel as they took it down so it would go up the correct way, even trimming trees along the planned route back to our farm.  All things I would not have had a clue about, but God gave Chelan and his dad those gifts for planning and carrying out each detail.  It was a marvel!







Then there was track!  I love attending Caiden's track meets, whether the results are good or bad.  And he definitely had some of both this year!  By the time the league track meet rolled around, he had a pretty good day - especially in high jump.  He not ever jumped higher than 4'4" at a meet, but at his last meet, he cleared 4'8" and almost cleared 4'10".  We were very proud of him considering the limited practice times they actually have!  By the end of the day,  he had gotten 2nd in long jump, 3rd in triple jump, 3rd in high jump, and 1st in the medley relay (he ran the 2nd 100 M leg) with Dylan, Logan, and Jacob.
Somehow, this video is in slow motion, but I think this might have been his furthest jump in TJ:
Here was Caiden's attempt 4'10" - so close!

waiting at TJ

Jacob and Caiden with one of their coaches,
Garrett Hiebert



The relay team

6th/7th grade girls placed first!

And so did the 6th/7th grade boys!
Following the league track meet, Cambry's class had their 5th grade promotion celebration!  I get to welcome them to jr. high next year, and I'm looking forward to it!  I can't believe Cambry is finished with elementary school.  I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet, but I'm sure when the time comes, it will feel okay - everything usually does!  I'm also fully aware that next year at this time, I will be planning an 8th grade promotion reception - yikes!


Mrs. Abrahams (a.k.a. as Ilona to us) said she really had a
fun year with this bunch

 And through it all, I was trying to finish up my "first" year of teaching.  It had its highs and lows, but overwhelmingly it was a positive experience.  8th grade will be added into the mix for next year, but overall I plan to have a much more stress-free summer than last.  I find myself eager to learn new techniques, new units, and new classroom management strategies - all good signs that I'm maybe in the right place for now!

My goofy 6th and 7th graders on the last day:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Christmas Surprise

 On Dec. 22, I woke up to Caiden not feeling well. In fact, he said he hadn't ever felt the kind of pain he was experiencing that morning. Reluctantly, I made an appointment. Long story, short - it was good he complained because he ended up having his appendix out that afternoon! It must have been at the very beginning stages and thankfully hadn't burst. So, we were in and out of the hospital by midnight that night. Maybe the worst part about the whole thing is that his wisdom teeth surgery had to be postponed since it was supposed to be the very next week. He'll go back to school minus an appendix, but still having his wisdom teeth until February 16! Pre-op Post-op

Mid-Summer Happenings

 I'm trying to remember that I craved "slow and easy" days during the school year, and I feel like that's what I've had this summer. It has been refreshing to wake up in the morning and have a flexible to-do list; although I have to admit that some days do feel long. I suppose that helps me appreciate my teaching job! In not particular order, here's what we've been up to: Endless fixing and revamping in the shop: Digging up potatoes and pulling up a generous onion crop! Look at the size of that potato! The 4th of July fireworks were outdone by the sky this year! Enjoying my walks at sunset: Many, many green beans to can and pickle. Thanks to the girls for cleaning and stemming them! I had been keeping tabs on an Oriole nest near the garden, and one Sunday, I witnessed the "fly-away!" It was a noisy affair as the parents and babies kept calling back and forth. I almost can't get over the fact that I had time to stand and watch the whole affair

League Champs!!

 Delaney and her teammates had an amazing volleyball season! They ended the season undefeated in the Wheat State League, and they only lost 2 matches overall. They had a notable win over Moundridge, 2 wins over Elyria, and THREE wins over Little River - all teams we have had trouble with in the past. They were so fun to watch, working as a team and developing throughout the season, and they ended as the league tournament champs. Thanks to Raechel Boese and Tara Churchill for their work with these ladies. What a fantastic way to end Delaney's middle school volleyball days! The immediate aftermath of a 3-set win over Elyria for  the League Championship! A Team 8th Graders Team Selfie Coaches Churchill and Boese Scenes from the BIG win over Moundridge: