Skip to main content

Pre-Christmas Activites

Christmas Break is upon us and we have been enjoying lots of pre-Christmas activities -  watching Caiden play basketball, a girls' outing to see "The Nutcracker," playing in the snow, making peppernuts, and enjoying the girls' Christmas program at school.  The program was extra special this year because Cambry played in her 5th grade band and played a clarinet solo. After only 4 months of practicing, they all did a great job!

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve and we will enjoy our church's Christmas Eve program and gathering at my parents' house.  Then on to Christmas Day when we will welcome our California family home for a little while!  

It has been about 18 weeks since school began.  The days and weeks have been full and busy and difficult, but here we are with Christmas on our doorstep! There has been a lot to do to get ready, but now that the preparations have been made, I hope to fully enjoy my time at home and to reflect on the gift that Jesus truly is for us.  Merry Christmas!
The Wichita Ballet was touring, so we got
to see "The Nutcracker" at the McPherson
Opera House.




The interior of the opera house is
quite exquisite!  We sat in the third
balcony - it felt high!  Delaney was with
us but did not want her picture taken. . .

I think the high for the day was about 5 degrees!



I don't think she was even that nervous to
play by herself!  It's quite a gift she has!


I told Delaney I enjoy watching her sing
because she looks so happy!

Cambry's solo, "Ezekiel Saw the Wheel:"

peppernuts with Grammy!
 It's been fun to watch Caiden play basketball with his junior high bb team this year!  He is actually starting on the A Team this year, and they have had some nail-biters!  He is kind of a quiet presence on the court, but he does find his way into the action.  His highlight so far would probably be a three-pointer he made against Rural Vista in early December.  They won that game by just a couple of points!  We appreciate all the extra time Garrett Hiebert and Patrick Loganbill put into coaching all 30 of the boys!  (Thanks to Dale Wiens for the photos).





Comments

  1. My niece dances with the Wichita Ballet in the Nutcracker and I noticed you caught her in one of your pictures. Kathy Woelk (Bryce)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

 April is off and running with a myriad of activities...in the first week!  April 1: Prom for Caiden and Mallory April 3: 7th grade quiz bowl league champions for Delaney Quinli, Emily, Estela, AJ, Delaney, Levi, (Mrs. Sells, coach) April 5: HS Art Contest for Cambry: 1st place, printmaking; 2nd place, 3D art; merit award, ceramic fountain. Bonus - Goessel hosted, so I got to help out and see how it all works! April 6: first JV golf tournament of the season for Cambry: tied for 21st with her partner, Jasmine. April 6: first JH track meet for Delaney where she broke 4 school records in TJ, 200 hurdles, 100 hurdles, and the medley relay (with Bella, Mackenzie, and Lydia R.)! 100 M hurdles time: 17.18 seconds April 9: HAPPY EASTER - JESUS IS RISEN!

Pre-Christmas Surprise

 On Dec. 22, I woke up to Caiden not feeling well. In fact, he said he hadn't ever felt the kind of pain he was experiencing that morning. Reluctantly, I made an appointment. Long story, short - it was good he complained because he ended up having his appendix out that afternoon! It must have been at the very beginning stages and thankfully hadn't burst. So, we were in and out of the hospital by midnight that night. Maybe the worst part about the whole thing is that his wisdom teeth surgery had to be postponed since it was supposed to be the very next week. He'll go back to school minus an appendix, but still having his wisdom teeth until February 16! Pre-op Post-op

Mid-Summer Happenings

 I'm trying to remember that I craved "slow and easy" days during the school year, and I feel like that's what I've had this summer. It has been refreshing to wake up in the morning and have a flexible to-do list; although I have to admit that some days do feel long. I suppose that helps me appreciate my teaching job! In not particular order, here's what we've been up to: Endless fixing and revamping in the shop: Digging up potatoes and pulling up a generous onion crop! Look at the size of that potato! The 4th of July fireworks were outdone by the sky this year! Enjoying my walks at sunset: Many, many green beans to can and pickle. Thanks to the girls for cleaning and stemming them! I had been keeping tabs on an Oriole nest near the garden, and one Sunday, I witnessed the "fly-away!" It was a noisy affair as the parents and babies kept calling back and forth. I almost can't get over the fact that I had time to stand and watch the whole affair