Skip to main content

Love Languages

Ten years ago, Chelan and I were a month away from being married.  I've been reflecting on this for a few days now and it's just so amazing how much has changed in those ten years; namely, the three little people we have added to the mix!  While some might say Caiden, Cambry, and Delaney all look similar, the fact is, they are each so different and have their own unique qualities.

I realized this yesterday while sitting in the waiting room at the dentist's office, of all places!  While Caiden and Cambry had their cleanings, I tried to read a book.  I'm not exactly sure what I read, though, because all I could do was chuckle at Cambry's endless chatter.  She talked the ears off the hygienist and the dentist.  "What's that?"  "Whoa - that's bright!"  "Who's that?"  There was running commentary from the time she sat in the chair until the time they let her go.  She even talked while the hygienist was polishing her teeth!   This is in stark contrast to her brother, who did not say a word or move a muscle unless asked to when he sat down.

Caiden is a rule follower, an organizer, an athlete, a do-er.  When he wants to, he gets things done!  Cambry is quite the opposite:  she's laid back, a chatterbox, a creator, she has a sensitive heart, but also a heart for others.  In fact, yesterday I asked her who she played with at recess.  She told me that she played with Ricardo, the new boy in her class who started school on Monday.  I was so proud of her!

Sometimes I wonder how we can parent such two entirely different children in the same way.  I guess the answer is, we can't.  

I went to the 5 Love Languages website the other day and had each of them take the quiz to see how they receive love most effectively.  Chelan and I read the adult version of The 5 Love Languages before we got married - (well, I tried reading it out loud so Chelan would participate, but I don't think he ever finished it).  I've also read the children's version with our MomTime group - very enlightening and very challenging.  You should go to the website and take the quiz!

The 5 love languages that most people exhibit are:
Words of Affirmation
Physical Touch
Acts of Service
Quality Time
Gifts

The results of the quiz were interesting - especially Cambry's.  We've always thought she was a Physical Touch kid.  However, this quiz revealed that she is a Words of Affirmation kid - she likes to hear positive words from us.  This makes so much sense because lately I've often heard, "You're the best!" or "You're the best sister!"  She has even started telling me when she likes something I've made for supper.  Usually, the way a child receives love best is how he/she gives love.  Running a close second was Gifts.  She does like to receive gifts, and she feels loved when she gets them.

Caiden's result didn't surprise me at all - we've always been able to tell that he's a Quality Time kid.  He would much rather us spend time with him and not do or receive anything else.  I guess I'll continue to play and watch football and basketball with him as much as I can.  Chelan will work with him on the farm or play with him on his Nintendo all that he can.  I think working on homework together is even quality time for him.  He gets our undivided attention for those few minutes.

After all this, what have I learned?  It's important to embrace each child's uniqueness, to love them in a way that they receive love best, and that parenting is challenging!

And, in case you were wondering, my love language is Acts of Service (by far) and Chelan's is Physical Touch!





  


Comments

  1. Addi-Acts of Service and Physical Touch
    Ty - Words of Affirmation and Quality Time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good things to know - what do you think Delaney will be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried it with Chayce by your suggestion -- and I kept thinking, "hmm, that's not what I expected" as he answered each question I read... until Treg came behind me and commented that he was just choosing the second option every time. We finished it, and indeed he was!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Christmas Surprise

 On Dec. 22, I woke up to Caiden not feeling well. In fact, he said he hadn't ever felt the kind of pain he was experiencing that morning. Reluctantly, I made an appointment. Long story, short - it was good he complained because he ended up having his appendix out that afternoon! It must have been at the very beginning stages and thankfully hadn't burst. So, we were in and out of the hospital by midnight that night. Maybe the worst part about the whole thing is that his wisdom teeth surgery had to be postponed since it was supposed to be the very next week. He'll go back to school minus an appendix, but still having his wisdom teeth until February 16! Pre-op Post-op

Mid-Summer Happenings

 I'm trying to remember that I craved "slow and easy" days during the school year, and I feel like that's what I've had this summer. It has been refreshing to wake up in the morning and have a flexible to-do list; although I have to admit that some days do feel long. I suppose that helps me appreciate my teaching job! In not particular order, here's what we've been up to: Endless fixing and revamping in the shop: Digging up potatoes and pulling up a generous onion crop! Look at the size of that potato! The 4th of July fireworks were outdone by the sky this year! Enjoying my walks at sunset: Many, many green beans to can and pickle. Thanks to the girls for cleaning and stemming them! I had been keeping tabs on an Oriole nest near the garden, and one Sunday, I witnessed the "fly-away!" It was a noisy affair as the parents and babies kept calling back and forth. I almost can't get over the fact that I had time to stand and watch the whole affair

League Champs!!

 Delaney and her teammates had an amazing volleyball season! They ended the season undefeated in the Wheat State League, and they only lost 2 matches overall. They had a notable win over Moundridge, 2 wins over Elyria, and THREE wins over Little River - all teams we have had trouble with in the past. They were so fun to watch, working as a team and developing throughout the season, and they ended as the league tournament champs. Thanks to Raechel Boese and Tara Churchill for their work with these ladies. What a fantastic way to end Delaney's middle school volleyball days! The immediate aftermath of a 3-set win over Elyria for  the League Championship! A Team 8th Graders Team Selfie Coaches Churchill and Boese Scenes from the BIG win over Moundridge: