Skip to main content

Church Retreat

This past weekend, our family enjoyed some time at Camp Mennoscah.  It was our church's weekend to take over the camp, and we had a good time.  Just having a chance to be out in nature and worship with others in that setting is special.  There were games of carpet ball and 4-square, there were canoe rides (almost a first for me), s'mores, a campfire, and lots of great food and fellowship - and there might have been some score-checking on the KSU vs. OU football game on our van radio.  

We spent the night in a cabin, and I anticipated that I would not get much sleep.  I was right - I ended up going to the van during the night because Cambry kept coughing, Chelan kept snoring, and Delaney's head was butted up right up next to mine.  I'm a light sleeper to begin with, so this night in a cabin didn't help matters!  Needless to say, I was happy for coffee on Sunday morning because I didn't sleep in the van either!

Thank you, retreat planners - our family had a great time out there!



Carpet Ball
Ready for bed
Ready for bed - Delaney did NOT sleep on the top.  This is a good thing
because she did fall out of bed during the night.  Chelan had thought
ahead and placed a mattress on the floor by her bed!
Breakfast with Jake
Levi having fun on the canoe dock
Burkholder family race
Levi took good care of Delaney!
Cambry's first ride - I went with Chelan and Cambry later
Poor Kendall!  On the way out of the canoe, it tipped
and he fell in - it was a cold morning!
Kids leading actions during the worship service - "Who's the King
of the Jungle?"
I'm afraid Delaney became a bit of a wanderer during
the worship service.  She found her cousin, Addi!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Christmas Surprise

 On Dec. 22, I woke up to Caiden not feeling well. In fact, he said he hadn't ever felt the kind of pain he was experiencing that morning. Reluctantly, I made an appointment. Long story, short - it was good he complained because he ended up having his appendix out that afternoon! It must have been at the very beginning stages and thankfully hadn't burst. So, we were in and out of the hospital by midnight that night. Maybe the worst part about the whole thing is that his wisdom teeth surgery had to be postponed since it was supposed to be the very next week. He'll go back to school minus an appendix, but still having his wisdom teeth until February 16! Pre-op Post-op

Mid-Summer Happenings

 I'm trying to remember that I craved "slow and easy" days during the school year, and I feel like that's what I've had this summer. It has been refreshing to wake up in the morning and have a flexible to-do list; although I have to admit that some days do feel long. I suppose that helps me appreciate my teaching job! In not particular order, here's what we've been up to: Endless fixing and revamping in the shop: Digging up potatoes and pulling up a generous onion crop! Look at the size of that potato! The 4th of July fireworks were outdone by the sky this year! Enjoying my walks at sunset: Many, many green beans to can and pickle. Thanks to the girls for cleaning and stemming them! I had been keeping tabs on an Oriole nest near the garden, and one Sunday, I witnessed the "fly-away!" It was a noisy affair as the parents and babies kept calling back and forth. I almost can't get over the fact that I had time to stand and watch the whole affair

League Champs!!

 Delaney and her teammates had an amazing volleyball season! They ended the season undefeated in the Wheat State League, and they only lost 2 matches overall. They had a notable win over Moundridge, 2 wins over Elyria, and THREE wins over Little River - all teams we have had trouble with in the past. They were so fun to watch, working as a team and developing throughout the season, and they ended as the league tournament champs. Thanks to Raechel Boese and Tara Churchill for their work with these ladies. What a fantastic way to end Delaney's middle school volleyball days! The immediate aftermath of a 3-set win over Elyria for  the League Championship! A Team 8th Graders Team Selfie Coaches Churchill and Boese Scenes from the BIG win over Moundridge: