Skip to main content

Busy Weekend

Whew!  It was a whirlwind weekend!  I told Chelan last night that I felt like I was in a state of exhaustion!  I could barely keep my eyes open Sunday afternoon, and by the evening, I was definitely ready for bed!

We started out with a track meet - yes, I said track meet.  Caiden had registered for the Hesston youth track meet and planned on doing the long jump, softball throw, and the 100M dash.  So, we headed to Hesston Saturday morning - a cold morning!  He did awesome, coming home with 3 blue ribbons.  That sounds really, really awesome, doesn't it?  Truthfully, he was the only one in his age group for the field events, and there was only 1 other boy in the dash.  Apparently, the Hesston Rec. forgot to move flag football to the afternoon.  Most of the boys in Caiden's age group were doing that instead.

Anyway, he jumped 10'11" in the long jump, threw 78' in the softball throw, and ran a 16 sec. 100M dash!  Way to go, Caiden!  We're very proud of you for trying something new!




After the track meet, I took Cambry to a birthday party for one of her classmates.  It was in Newton, so while she was at the party, I got to do some shopping BY MYSELF!  It was just Wal-Mart and Dillons, but still, BY MYSELF!  It was great!  And, when we got home, I realized Chelan had mowed the yard for me, put up some cages around my pepper plants and finished putting the tomato cages up!    I appreciated all of that so much - he knew I had been feeling a little stressed about this weekend!  He is such an awesome husband!

After about an hour at home, we went to my mentee's graduation party.  Lucky for me, supper was included in the deal - and the food did not disappoint!  It was a nice party, and afterwards, Cambry and I went to the graduation.

When we got home, Chelan and I worked on making homemade ice cream mix and cake for the next day's birthday celebration.  Chelan's dad turned 65 a week ago, and we finally found time to celebrate on Mother's Day.

Which brings me to Mother's Day!  I heard whispers of "Is she awake?"  "Wake her up!"  I was "woken up" with a slight nudge from Cambry (I had been awake already).  She and Caiden came to ask me what I wanted for breakfast.  Chelan had made a list that I was supposed to choose from.  I chose scrambled eggs and bacon and then I got up.  Caiden forgot to tell me to stay in bed!  They brought it to me in bed anyway, but I ended up going to the table and ate with everyone else!  It all made me smile!

After church, we ate at Pizza Hut with my side of the family.  Believe it or not, we haven't gotten together in a long time - even though we live so close to one another!  Then, in the evening, we celebrated the big birthday at Grandma and Grandpa's house.  The boys rode the go-kart and the McCabe's brought the John Deere gator for Cambry to drive - so very thoughtful.  She's not very fond of the go-kart yet!  There was also a rousing game of frisbee after supper.


The homemade ice cream was a hit, and here's the recipe (Not the healthiest stuff, but downright delicious!):

Farm Fresh Ice Cream (Successful Farming Magazine 2005)
3 c. whole milk
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 t. salt
8 egg yolks, beaten
3 c. whipping cream
1 T. vanilla

Step 1:  In a large saucepan combine milk, sugar, and salt; stir in egg yolks.  Cook and stir over medium heat just until mixture comes to a boil.
Step 2:  Quickly cool the custard by placing the saucepan into a sink full of ice water for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Step 3:  Pour custard mixture into a bowl.  Cover surface with plastic wrap.  Chill 4 to 24 hours.
Step 4:  Stir whipping cream and vanilla into chilled custard.
Step 5:  Freeze ice cream mixture in a 4- or 5-quart ice cream freezer according to manufacturers directions.  Hold for 4 hours.  Makes 2 quarts.

I hope you had as great a weekend as I did - but maybe not quite as busy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Christmas Surprise

 On Dec. 22, I woke up to Caiden not feeling well. In fact, he said he hadn't ever felt the kind of pain he was experiencing that morning. Reluctantly, I made an appointment. Long story, short - it was good he complained because he ended up having his appendix out that afternoon! It must have been at the very beginning stages and thankfully hadn't burst. So, we were in and out of the hospital by midnight that night. Maybe the worst part about the whole thing is that his wisdom teeth surgery had to be postponed since it was supposed to be the very next week. He'll go back to school minus an appendix, but still having his wisdom teeth until February 16! Pre-op Post-op

Mid-Summer Happenings

 I'm trying to remember that I craved "slow and easy" days during the school year, and I feel like that's what I've had this summer. It has been refreshing to wake up in the morning and have a flexible to-do list; although I have to admit that some days do feel long. I suppose that helps me appreciate my teaching job! In not particular order, here's what we've been up to: Endless fixing and revamping in the shop: Digging up potatoes and pulling up a generous onion crop! Look at the size of that potato! The 4th of July fireworks were outdone by the sky this year! Enjoying my walks at sunset: Many, many green beans to can and pickle. Thanks to the girls for cleaning and stemming them! I had been keeping tabs on an Oriole nest near the garden, and one Sunday, I witnessed the "fly-away!" It was a noisy affair as the parents and babies kept calling back and forth. I almost can't get over the fact that I had time to stand and watch the whole affair

League Champs!!

 Delaney and her teammates had an amazing volleyball season! They ended the season undefeated in the Wheat State League, and they only lost 2 matches overall. They had a notable win over Moundridge, 2 wins over Elyria, and THREE wins over Little River - all teams we have had trouble with in the past. They were so fun to watch, working as a team and developing throughout the season, and they ended as the league tournament champs. Thanks to Raechel Boese and Tara Churchill for their work with these ladies. What a fantastic way to end Delaney's middle school volleyball days! The immediate aftermath of a 3-set win over Elyria for  the League Championship! A Team 8th Graders Team Selfie Coaches Churchill and Boese Scenes from the BIG win over Moundridge: