Skip to main content

I'm Laughing Now . . .

This is a story about a van, a toddler, and a somewhat distracted mother:

Last Friday, I was getting ready to go to church to make copies.  Delaney was happily playing in the van while I gathered up all my papers.  When I finally had everything gathered, I went out to the garage to strap Delaney into her seat.  Then, I went around to the other side to take out the recycling bin from the night before.  I shut the door, and then I heard it - the automatic lock!  Delaney must have pushed the lock while she was playing.

No problem - we have a key in a magnetic box under the van.  I've used it at least 10 times!  I went to get it - it wasn't there!  After 10 years, it finally fell off somewhere.  So, I started panicking a little bit, wondering how I was going to get the door open.  Delaney was still happy, at least.

I called Chelan and he suggested I call a locksmith.  By this time, I might have been crying a little.  There was one phone number for a locksmith in Newton.  He couldn't come until later in the morning - that wasn't going to work with a toddler locked in the van!  I called Chelan back.  He got a "slim jim kit" from a co-worker and started on his way home.

Meanwhile, picture a mom standing next to a van.  She's singing all the nursery rhyme and church songs she knows while holding a cat up to the window to entertain her locked-in daughter!  Delaney was doing so well, but then she started pointing at the doors, like I was supposed to open them so she could get out.  I said, while trying to open the driver's door, "See?  I can't get in!"  I tried her door, too - AND IT OPENED RIGHT UP!  In my panic, I had forgotten that the automatic lock hasn't been working on that door!  (I really did think I had tried it before I called Chelan)!

I was so happy, thankful, confused, and upset at myself all at the same time.  Thank goodness the locksmith couldn't come out!

Comments

  1. Remember when Mace locked himself in the Durango...in your driveway, only it wasn't your driveway back then...but anyway...we tried everything to get him to understand to unlock the door, but he was very content, and just settled back in his seat. We finally had to call the Goessel PD and they came all the way out to the farm to help us out! I totally feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Christmas Surprise

 On Dec. 22, I woke up to Caiden not feeling well. In fact, he said he hadn't ever felt the kind of pain he was experiencing that morning. Reluctantly, I made an appointment. Long story, short - it was good he complained because he ended up having his appendix out that afternoon! It must have been at the very beginning stages and thankfully hadn't burst. So, we were in and out of the hospital by midnight that night. Maybe the worst part about the whole thing is that his wisdom teeth surgery had to be postponed since it was supposed to be the very next week. He'll go back to school minus an appendix, but still having his wisdom teeth until February 16! Pre-op Post-op

Mid-Summer Happenings

 I'm trying to remember that I craved "slow and easy" days during the school year, and I feel like that's what I've had this summer. It has been refreshing to wake up in the morning and have a flexible to-do list; although I have to admit that some days do feel long. I suppose that helps me appreciate my teaching job! In not particular order, here's what we've been up to: Endless fixing and revamping in the shop: Digging up potatoes and pulling up a generous onion crop! Look at the size of that potato! The 4th of July fireworks were outdone by the sky this year! Enjoying my walks at sunset: Many, many green beans to can and pickle. Thanks to the girls for cleaning and stemming them! I had been keeping tabs on an Oriole nest near the garden, and one Sunday, I witnessed the "fly-away!" It was a noisy affair as the parents and babies kept calling back and forth. I almost can't get over the fact that I had time to stand and watch the whole affair

League Champs!!

 Delaney and her teammates had an amazing volleyball season! They ended the season undefeated in the Wheat State League, and they only lost 2 matches overall. They had a notable win over Moundridge, 2 wins over Elyria, and THREE wins over Little River - all teams we have had trouble with in the past. They were so fun to watch, working as a team and developing throughout the season, and they ended as the league tournament champs. Thanks to Raechel Boese and Tara Churchill for their work with these ladies. What a fantastic way to end Delaney's middle school volleyball days! The immediate aftermath of a 3-set win over Elyria for  the League Championship! A Team 8th Graders Team Selfie Coaches Churchill and Boese Scenes from the BIG win over Moundridge: