Skip to main content

Getting Organized

No, it's not a new year's resolution.  In fact, I've always thought of myself as very organized.  I always had one of the neatest desks in my class - in fact, I looked forward to desk-cleaning time because I got to read while everyone else cleaned.  Today, I always insist that the kids find places for their things.   My mantra seems to be, "Everything has a place, and it's not on the floor!"  I'm even an obsessive "filer" while Chelan is a "piler" - often causing some minor disagreements - he can't find things I've filed and I can't find things he's piled!

The last couple of days, however, I've noticed some things that make my organizing seem a little sub-par!  For instance:

1.  I found a box of old check blanks and registers in one desk drawer, a notebook of old bank statements in another drawer, and more current bank statements in a folder in our file cabinet!  Shouldn't all our old banking things be together in one location?

2.  I also came across some extra Christmas cards in one drawer, while the rest were in another - why aren't all of them with my Christmas things?  We even have miscellaneous birthday and anniversary cards we've received in another desk drawer - are we supposed to keep them all? 

3.  Speaking of Christmas - I have some decorations in a closet upstairs, while others are down in the basement.  My fall decorations are also in that closet, but the Halloween buckets and Easter things are in a cabinet in the bathroom!  The bathroom!

4.  Some old pictures and video cassettes that we don't use anymore are downstairs in a shoebox in the old entertainment center.  Other old pictures and even some picture frames are in our bedroom inside a bedside table.  I'm pretty sure it would make sense to keep them all together!

5.  We have hats everywhere - on top of the cabinet in one bathroom, up on a shelf in the coat closet, even hanging on hooks in our entryway - shouldn't they all be in one relatively logical place?  ( I attribute this last one to the fact that we have no mud room - I have dreams of a neat, organized mud room - someday)!

I guess what I've discovered is that a small, square desk in grade school is a lot easier to keep organized than my house!  I have high hopes that the things listed above will get corrected, but I also know that there are far more important things to focus on right now - the organizing can wait! 

Comments

  1. I was the same way in elementary school, loved having a neat desk and I still do...although it's harder to find the time now to keep things organized like I want to! Hope you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Christmas Surprise

 On Dec. 22, I woke up to Caiden not feeling well. In fact, he said he hadn't ever felt the kind of pain he was experiencing that morning. Reluctantly, I made an appointment. Long story, short - it was good he complained because he ended up having his appendix out that afternoon! It must have been at the very beginning stages and thankfully hadn't burst. So, we were in and out of the hospital by midnight that night. Maybe the worst part about the whole thing is that his wisdom teeth surgery had to be postponed since it was supposed to be the very next week. He'll go back to school minus an appendix, but still having his wisdom teeth until February 16! Pre-op Post-op

Mid-Summer Happenings

 I'm trying to remember that I craved "slow and easy" days during the school year, and I feel like that's what I've had this summer. It has been refreshing to wake up in the morning and have a flexible to-do list; although I have to admit that some days do feel long. I suppose that helps me appreciate my teaching job! In not particular order, here's what we've been up to: Endless fixing and revamping in the shop: Digging up potatoes and pulling up a generous onion crop! Look at the size of that potato! The 4th of July fireworks were outdone by the sky this year! Enjoying my walks at sunset: Many, many green beans to can and pickle. Thanks to the girls for cleaning and stemming them! I had been keeping tabs on an Oriole nest near the garden, and one Sunday, I witnessed the "fly-away!" It was a noisy affair as the parents and babies kept calling back and forth. I almost can't get over the fact that I had time to stand and watch the whole affair

League Champs!!

 Delaney and her teammates had an amazing volleyball season! They ended the season undefeated in the Wheat State League, and they only lost 2 matches overall. They had a notable win over Moundridge, 2 wins over Elyria, and THREE wins over Little River - all teams we have had trouble with in the past. They were so fun to watch, working as a team and developing throughout the season, and they ended as the league tournament champs. Thanks to Raechel Boese and Tara Churchill for their work with these ladies. What a fantastic way to end Delaney's middle school volleyball days! The immediate aftermath of a 3-set win over Elyria for  the League Championship! A Team 8th Graders Team Selfie Coaches Churchill and Boese Scenes from the BIG win over Moundridge: