Skip to main content

Busy Days!

As the end of the school year rapidly approaches, the amount of scheduled activities seems to increase.  Cambry has been one busy 3rd grader!  Last Sunday she had her spring piano recital.  She played "O Worship the King" and she did very well!  It turns out this was her only recital this year as she had the stomach flu for the Christmas one. This might also be her last recital. We are having a hard time convincing her to continue.  On one hand, I think piano is a very good thing and will help when band starts in a couple of years.  On the other hand, it's simply exhausting to get her to practice each day.  We'll take a break over the summer and then she might feel differently!


On Monday, she went to the Cosmosphere with her class.  Amazingly, we have never taken her there! Chelan had the privilege of going along and I think they all had a good time.  Cambry said her favorite part of the trip (besides the gift shop, of course) was the planetarium.  Thankfully, her teacher, Mr. Wiens, is so great about taking pictures that I don't ever have to worry about missing anything!



Then yesterday (Thursday), the class had their Famous People Day.  This is an annual event and the kids look forward to finally being in 3rd grade for their turn with this project.  Cambry chose to be Laura Ingalls Wilder.  This fit nicely because I have been reading these stories to her before bedtime. This is the kind of project she really enjoys.  There were several aspects:  creating a display board, a PowerPoint, drawing a portrait, writing a report, and then presenting their project to other classes and their parents.  By the time I arrived yesterday, she was pretty much done.  I didn't get any information out of her, which was very concerning to me.  Her teacher assured me, however, that she had talked to groups earlier in the day.  I sure hope so!  I do know that she put a lot of work into this and she had fun learning new things about Laura Ingalls Wilder.  And for that, we are proud of her!

Talking to a group of 1st graders
Talking to a group of 2nd graders
Helen Keller, Amelia Earhart, Florence Nightingale, Laura Ingalls Wilder

The 2 Laura Ingalls Wilders

I'm not sure she's paying a whole lot of attention to Amy!


Look at all those great costumes.  There was even a Captain von Goessel this year!

Tonight, it's off to the first ever Goessel Elementary Art Show!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Christmas Surprise

 On Dec. 22, I woke up to Caiden not feeling well. In fact, he said he hadn't ever felt the kind of pain he was experiencing that morning. Reluctantly, I made an appointment. Long story, short - it was good he complained because he ended up having his appendix out that afternoon! It must have been at the very beginning stages and thankfully hadn't burst. So, we were in and out of the hospital by midnight that night. Maybe the worst part about the whole thing is that his wisdom teeth surgery had to be postponed since it was supposed to be the very next week. He'll go back to school minus an appendix, but still having his wisdom teeth until February 16! Pre-op Post-op

Mid-Summer Happenings

 I'm trying to remember that I craved "slow and easy" days during the school year, and I feel like that's what I've had this summer. It has been refreshing to wake up in the morning and have a flexible to-do list; although I have to admit that some days do feel long. I suppose that helps me appreciate my teaching job! In not particular order, here's what we've been up to: Endless fixing and revamping in the shop: Digging up potatoes and pulling up a generous onion crop! Look at the size of that potato! The 4th of July fireworks were outdone by the sky this year! Enjoying my walks at sunset: Many, many green beans to can and pickle. Thanks to the girls for cleaning and stemming them! I had been keeping tabs on an Oriole nest near the garden, and one Sunday, I witnessed the "fly-away!" It was a noisy affair as the parents and babies kept calling back and forth. I almost can't get over the fact that I had time to stand and watch the whole affair

League Champs!!

 Delaney and her teammates had an amazing volleyball season! They ended the season undefeated in the Wheat State League, and they only lost 2 matches overall. They had a notable win over Moundridge, 2 wins over Elyria, and THREE wins over Little River - all teams we have had trouble with in the past. They were so fun to watch, working as a team and developing throughout the season, and they ended as the league tournament champs. Thanks to Raechel Boese and Tara Churchill for their work with these ladies. What a fantastic way to end Delaney's middle school volleyball days! The immediate aftermath of a 3-set win over Elyria for  the League Championship! A Team 8th Graders Team Selfie Coaches Churchill and Boese Scenes from the BIG win over Moundridge: